As of the membership report of August 22, 2016, our total was at 23.77%, which is low for this time of year. This is certainly understandable because of the devastating flooding and its aftermath that we have to deal with in our state. But please remember to pay your dues as soon as possible. Not only does this allows you to continue honoring our veterans, but it also makes you eligible for the benefits available through the American Legion Auxiliary, including the Auxiliary Emergency Fund.
Membership is a core value of the Auxiliary's Five Year Centennial Strategic Plan. Remember, don't harvest the job. Membership is everyone's responsibility. The membership team is here to help encourage membership and help recruit new members and help with any ongoing concerns.
National has instituted new membership options including paying dues and joining the Auxiliary online. Go towww.alaforveterans.org, then click, Join. Hold on Join, for Pop-Up menu. Hit open to access application. You can also pay by phone by calling 317-569-4500. Payments are by Visa or MasterCard only. Have your membership number available when you call or login.
At the membership meetings at this year's National Convention, tips were given for renewing and recruiting members.
1. Establish "No Crap Zone", all attitudes and personalities are left at the door. We're all working for the same cause and there are no ranks among us.
2. Stop caring about who gets the credit. If someone does the work, give them credit. Stop ostracizing other members.
3. Agree to disagree. Remember the cliche', variety is the spice of life.
4. Be a mentor to new members and upcoming leaders. We must teach the Auxiliary.
5. EMBRACE DIVERSITY - we all belong to the human race. Don't judge the book by the cover, it can be a page turner. Have an open mind. Recognize diversity as a blessing and unity our strength.
6. Ask Legion to recruit family members
7. Use social media to recount stories of membership experiences.
8. Set up phone banks at unit, district, or state meetings, and call for renewals.
9. Coordinate with your post to send out renewal notices at the same time. Spouses are more likely to pay both.
10. Units, keep updated member addresses and phone numbers.
11. Personal touch - use an open forum or have members bring computers or tablets to meetings to help members learn about the Auxiliary.
12. When members renew or join, send out "Thank You" cards and also enclose benefit cards and new member information, including Department, District and Unit name and number, contact information and meeting times. Some members don't even know that. We must let members know that they are the Auxiliary's most valuable asset.
The latest membership report is enclosed. Look at your numbers. Units and Departments have a legal and fiduciary duty to process a member's dues in a timely manner; once a month, MINIMUM. Failure to do so is a violation of due process and the members rights. Be innovative, let's get our membership up, and let us all work together to make our department all it can be.
The membership team is hear to help with any questions or concerns. All contact information is on the website and has been provided in an earlier newsletter.
Natalie Chevalier-Myers Department Membership Chairman
Who are we? What do we do? Why should someone join? These are three questions you should be able to answer when recruiting new members. Membership is the lifeline of our organization. To continue being who we are and doing what we do, we must continue to grow membership. As evidenced by our memorial service at the State Convention, we have lost numerous members this past year. That is why recruiting is as important as renewing memberships.
This year, National is waiving their $9.00 membership fee for all new members who are veterans. The Department fee of $7.50 will also be paid for them. Therefore, subtract $16.50 from your total unit dues. Example, if unit dues are $20.00, subtract $16.50; send $3.50 in to department with the application. Be sure to put the recruiter's name on the application. There will be National as well as Department recruitment awards this year. Don't forget to send in your Early Bird Forms, if all your officers paid their dues before installation. What a great way to insure NO ZERO UNITS. Join us at the Department DEC this month. We have a great instructional and hands-on weekend planned.
Natalie Chevalier-Myers Department Membership Chairman
Quota Question? Will our quotas go up this year? Yes. Our quotas have been set by national. Everyone will go up 2 members more than your quota was on May 31,2016. Example: If your quota was 85 last year, this year it's 87. We feel these quotas are certainly attainable. Don't forget your junior members. They count towards your quota and they are our future. There will be no target dates this year.
Need to contact your membership team? No problem.
Your Department membership team is only a phone call away! Feel free to call or email them with all your membership questions and needs.
Membership Chairman- Natalie Chevalier-Myer
7222 Dyer Road
Baker, LA 70714
Districts 1 & 6. Will also be answering questions for all districts as Department Chairman.
P.O. Box 1181
Bastrop, LA 71221
Districts 4 & 5
651 E. 17th Street
Crowley, LA 70526
Districts 7 & 8
163 Monroe Lane
Church Point, LA 70725
Districts 2 & 3
Didn't get your units membership cards at Department Convention? Contact the Department Membership Chairman, Natalie Myers for card information and any other membership concerns.